Application Requirements & Submission
Interested applicants should submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before
August 30, 2020 the scanned copies in PDF format of the following requirements:
- Duly accomplished application form and essay. The form can be downloaded from this
- Certified true copy of grades
- Certificate of batch ranking from the last completed school year (SHS or college) or at least 2
consecutive semesters (if in college already) showing candidate belongs to top 10% of high
school batch or top 30% of college batch
- Certificate of good moral standing or a reference letter from the school principal, college
dean, or department head
- Parent or family’s proof of income (e.g. recently filed annual income tax return (ITR), last two
pay slips, or certificate of indigency)
GBF STEM SFE FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- What is STEM Scholarship for Excellence?
It is a scholarship program that provides financial assistance to high potential but financially challenged college students taking up STEM courses.
- What are the preferred courses for STEM Scholarship of Excellence?
For AY 20-21 the here are the list of preferred courses: Accounting, Applied Mathematics, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Electronics & Communications Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Industrial Technology, Information Technology, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, Statistics, Veterinary Medicine
- Who are eligible to apply for STEM Scholarship for Excellence?
All college students from all year levels who are taking-up STEM courses and in need of financial assistance are eligible to apply All applicants must also belong to the Top 10% of their H.S. batch (for incoming 1st year), Top 20% (for 2nd year and above I.T. / Com Sci students) and Top 30% (for 2nd year and above non-I.T. / Com Sci students) of their course batch.
- Can those with failed grades in college / H.S. still apply?
No, all applicants must have no failed, dropped or incomplete subject/s for their entirety of their college / HS years
- Is there a minimum GWA required in order to apply?
No, there is no minimum GWA requirement specified
- Do applicants need a proof of enrollment to apply?
Not necessarily. For incoming freshman with no enrollment confirmation, the applicant can present the School’s Letter of Acceptance instead.
- What are the requirements needed in order to apply for STEM Scholarship for Excellence?
- Certified true copy of grades from the last academic year, showing no failed grade in any subject;
- Certificate of batch ranking from the last completed school year (SHS or college) or at least 2 consecutive semesters (if in college already) showing candidate belongs to top 10% of high school batch or top 30% of college batch;
- Certificate of good moral standing or a reference letter from the school principal, college dean, or department head;
- Proof of enrollment or registration in the coming semester/term of the academic year (attached letter of intent to enroll may also be used); and
- Parent or family’s proof of income (examples: recently filed annual income tax return (ITR), last 2 payslips, or Certificate of Indigency)
- Can I submit my report cards from Grade 12 instead of the true copy of grades?
Yes, you may submit your report cards, should your true copy of grades be unavailable. But it is best to write a letter stating why your true copy of grades is not available and a commitment to submit it once available.
- For a Senior High School STEM strand graduate, do I submit batch ranking from the high school batch or ranking from among the STEM strand batch?
Senior High School graduates shall submit their batch ranking among STEM strand batch.
- Can I submit batch ranking from my college course batch (ex: Mechanical Engineering course batch as against all Engineering courses)?
Yes, the requirement of the scholarship is course batch ranking.
- Can I still apply even if my course is not part of the priority course list?
Yes, you may still apply, however applicants whose courses are not in the list may not be prioritized.
- Can I still apply even if my university is not part of the preferred list of universities?
Yes, you may still apply even if your school is not a part of the preferred list of universities.
- Can I apply if I already have an existing scholarship from another institution or company (ex: DOST)?
Yes, you may still apply subject for evaluation. During deliberations, the qualified candidates who do not yet benefit from any scholarship are usually prioritized.
- Where can I get the application and essay forms for STEM Scholarship for Excellence?
The application and essay forms may be downloaded via this link: https://bit.ly/gbfstemsfe2020application
- How do we submit our requirements for application?
All application requirements shall be emailed to email@example.com with a subject header: [Name of School]underscore[Name of Applicant]
- What are the benefits and coverage of STEM Scholarship for Excellence?
- A fixed scholarship grant amount will be given directly to the scholar (to be released after every semester), each academic year until the scholar completes his/her college degree.
- Coaching and mentorship programs
- Learning opportunities
- Internship with a Gokongwei Group company
- Employment opportunity (subject to vacancy and passing of pre-employment qualifications)
- Can the scholar use the grant amount for expenses other than the school tuition
Yes, the scholars may use the grant amount for any expense that is education-related. This may include books, schools projects, food, transportation and dormitory expenses.
- As a scholar, do I have to submit a liquidation report of the grant I received?
No, but the scholar has to submit a proof of enrollment within 5 working days from the last day of enrollment
- Is On – The – Job Training included in STEM Scholarship for Excellence?
Yes, an Internship opportunity at a Gokongwei group company is included in the offer.
- Will an OJT allowance be provided to the scholars during their On-The-Job Training?
Yes, our OJT program includes allowance (amount varies depending on the no. Of hours rendered.
- Can I choose the Gokongwei group Business Unit to apply to?
Yes, all applicants will be asked to list his/her preferred business units to apply to.
- What are the requirements in order to maintain the scholarship?
- Batch ranking certificate indicating that the he/she belongs to the Top 30% of the course batch (Top 25% for IT/Computer Science courses, and Top 50% for BS Pharmacy) and a GWA of 2.5 in order to maintain the scholarship.
- Certificate of Good Moral Standing shall also be required from the scholar
- Proof of enrolment for the following sem/term or a letter of intent to enroll
- Once I did not meet the retention requirements or if I committed a misconduct in school, will my scholarship be terminated? Do I need to pay for the grants I already received?
The scholarship will be terminated once a scholar does not meet the retention requirements or if a misconduct is committed. However, reimbursement of grant is not required.
- Can GBF support further studies after College graduation?
Currently, the scholarship supports bachelor’s degree only.
- Is this applicable to a second degree in College?
No, this is only applicable to student’s first bachelor’s degree.
- If the school cannot issue a Transcript of Records or Form 137, can I submit my report card or Form 138 instead?
Yes, but also send a letter stating why the transcript of records or form 137 is not available and a commitment to submit it as soon as it becomes available.
- Is there an examination after the submission of all the needed requirements?
There will be no written examination. GBF will just evaluate the requirements sent and schedule an interview with the applicant.
- Is it necessary to reapply after every academic year to renew the scholarship?
Once accepted in the scholarship, there is no need to renew or reapply
- Can those who fall-out of the program due to academic deficiencies reapply?
No, those who fall-out of the program may no longer reapply
- Are there any required Return of Service / Bond for scholars who get accepted into STEM Scholarship for Excellence?
Yes, scholars shall be required to work for the Gokongwei Group Inc. One year for every year the scholar has been a recipient of the scholarship grant (maximum 2 years except for BS pharmacy with maximum of 4 years requirement).
Let’s help you reach your dreams
Scholarship grants aim to provide education to academically excellent students, financially-challenged but qualified students, and students who render service and represent the University in their respective fields of endeavor: athletics and cultural.