Far Eastern University initiated an undertaking to support the Commission on Higher Education’s HiEd Bayanihan Project which aimed to train college faculty members on pedagogical content knowledge as well as technological integration needed for wired flexible learning options (FLOs). A team was created from the FEU-Institute of Education (FEU-IE) and Education Technology (EdTech) departments who designed and conducted the training project.
FEU utilized its experience in training to help some college faculty members in the Philippines to transition from face-to-face instruction to a wired remote learning mode. This was done through trainings on both instructional design for the school’s wired remote learning courses as well as the utilization of Learning Management System (LMS).
Over 307 faculty members from different colleges and universities participated in a series of training on the following topics:
- Introduction to Online Instruction and the LMS (Aug. 17, 2020)
- Designing Course Expected Learning Outcomes for Online Learning (Aug. 18, 2020)
- Writing a Course Information Booklet (CIB) (Aug. 18, 2020)
- Teaching and Learning Online for Declarative and Functioning Knowledge (Aug. 19, 2020)
- Assessing and Grading Online (Aug. 19, 2020)
- Online Presentation and Performance-based Assessments (Aug. 20, 2020)
- Activities that Create a Community and Exploring Productivity Tools and Platforms (Aug. 21, 2020)
FEU-IE had been giving trainings to other educational institutions as part of its commitment and mandate for being a Center of Excellence in Teacher Education even before the pandemic.
• FEU-IE in partnership with the Maynilad Water Academy held a seminar-workshop on Water and Sanitation Education. This was conducted to capacitate basic education teachers on new knowledge, unique practices, and responsive solutions on societal issues concerning water and sanitation. This was attended by over 50 basic education teachers held last October 24, 2019.
• FEU-IE conducted teaching capacity building trainings for Divine Word College in Calapan, Mindoro. This two-day faculty training was about the General Education Facilitation and Student-Centered Learning. The event was held last May 2-3, 2019.
• FEU-IE conducted two-day enrichment program for teachers last September 28-29, 2018. This was equivalent to 14 CPD units and focused on managing and facilitating 21st Century teaching and learning.
The Institute believes that it is essential to capacitate teachers in helping learners to cope up to the challenges brought about by the changing environment and society. Thus, FEU and the Institute of Education would continue to do its part on supporting education through capacity building and teacher training.